Thursday 2 January 2014

Time Management - Advice Wanted

Anyone that knows me in real life, knows that at times, I have a fairly short attention span. I'm finding this frustrating at the moment as it means I have quite a few WIPs on the go at any one time. 

Currently I have: 3 shawls, 1 cardigan and 3 spinning projects. 1 of those shawls is a UFO and hasn't been worked on in about 6 months, 2 of those spinning projects also haven't been touched in about 6 months. The remaining 2 shawls were cast on within days of each other and the cardigan is very slow going, considering it's only stockinette stitch. 

I tend to be surrounded by my current WIPs and I work a little on one, then a little on another and so on, thus each project takes quite some time to complete. To remedy this I have decided to try to work on one project for the free time I have to knit or spin, rather than flit back and forth between them all, or to spend at least 30 minutes working on a WIP before going on to another one. Monogamous knitting is simply not going to happen - the beaded shawl takes a lot of brain power and if this was my only WIP I probably wouldn't do any knitting during the week. 

How do you manage your WIPs? What are your secrets for productivity? That's it for today, feel free to leave a comment below with your time/project management tips!
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I mostly only work on one thing at a time, but one thing I've always liked the idea of doing is having 3 projects at a time, one marathon project that is big and complex and will take a really long time to complete, a 5k project that's a little easier because it's smaller or doesn't require much thought, and sprints, that are quick little projects.

    The rule for me would be that I couldn't start a marathon/5k/or sprint till the last one was off the needles. That way there's still incentive to finish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that idea! I should try something like that. At the moment I feel like I have 2 marathon projects and a 5K project...probably not the best way to get something finished in a good amount of time!

      Delete